Skip to main content
Advertisement
Coffee
Pop Culture

Joey Chestnut Faces July 4th Probation After Battery Plea

Ava HartAuthor
Published
Reading time3 min
Share:
Ava Hart's Hollywood 360

The hot dog-eating champion’s legal troubles just became very real—and they’re landing right on America’s biggest eating holiday.

Joey Chestnut, the 17-time Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest winner, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery on April 20 after a bar altercation in Indiana earlier this year. The incident happened on March 21 at Joe’s Grill, just before 2 a.m., when a fan recognized him and approached. According to police records, what started as a friendly handshake escalated into Chestnut slapping the man across the left side of his face with an open hand. The victim’s friend, who witnessed the exchange, later told authorities he kept talking to Chestnut to diffuse the situation and get them out safely.

When law enforcement questioned Chestnut the next day, he initially claimed he was“pretty drunk and didn’t remember”the incident. But when police showed him the bar’s surveillance footage, his story shifted. He suggested the slap“looked like a joke,”then later said he“must have taken offense”to something the man said. The police report painted a different picture entirely: Chestnut pulled the victim forward, moved closer, and struck him with force. The officer noted that the victim reacted visibly, holding his head down while Chestnut stood over him and his friend.

Here’s where it gets complicated for the competitive eating world: Chestnut’s 180-day probation sentence runs through October, which means he’ll be under court supervision during Nathan’s annual Fourth of July International hot dog-eating contest at Coney Island in Brooklyn. The stakes for staying on his best behavior just got very real.

Chestnut’s legal team has framed this as a misunderstanding. His attorney, Mario Massillamany, emphasized that his client“took full responsibility for this misunderstanding and resolved the matter by pleading guilty to a lesser-included offense of Class B misdemeanor battery, one of the lowest-level misdemeanor offenses under Indiana law.”A statement from Chestnut’s team added that he“regrets engaging”and said the interaction was“misinterpreted,”noting that“some inappropriate things were said that Joey reacted to.”

It’s a surprising stumble for a competitor who’s already weathered serious controversy. Chestnut was famously banned from the 2024 Nathan’s contest after signing an endorsement deal with Impossible Foods, a plant-based meat substitute company—a move that outraged traditionalists. He bounced back in 2025 to reclaim his title, consuming 70.5 hot dogs to win the Mustard Yellow Belt for the seventeenth time. Now he’s got a much tougher opponent: staying out of trouble for the next few months, especially when July 4th rolls around and the cameras are watching.

Ava Hart's Hollywood 360

About the Author

Ava Hart

Ava Hart is a contributor to LocalBeat, covering local news and community stories.

Share:

Related Stories